The Rainbow Roosting Robin Quilt is Growing

>> Wednesday, July 15, 2015

I have been able to keep working on my Roosting Robin quilt. I got the final friendship star border made and attached to the quilt.
Here it is laying out on my queen size bed.

I didn't take any photos of the quilt off the bed, but you can see that it needs to be at least a little longer. The quilt underneath is my Liberated Churn Dash Quilt and I know from using it that I'd like this quilt to be a little longer.

So what's next?

The next round called for a ribbon or twisted border. I've been thinking about a herringbone quilt for awhile now and thought maybe I could do something like that with selvages. Adding selvages is kind of a prerequisite for this quilt - I love to use them!
I started by making 3 1/2 inch blocks and realized they would look too small on the quilt.
Then I made 6 1/2 inch blocks. I thought I would put these just at the top and bottom of the quilt to give it more length.

Then I played a little more!

I turned it into a heart!
I'm calling it a Selvage Heart on a String - because the middle strip is actually a 'string' of fabric and not a selvage. 
{Think I'll do up a tutorial for it too}
Pretty neat, eh!
And I will only need 5 to go across the top of my quilt! Which means I will have enough of that polka dot green fabric to make another heart for the bottom row:)

I could have stopped there, but I didn't! I'm really trying to plan out what I'm working on so I know what fabrics I'll be using and how much time it's going to take to do things. I like to have projects at different stages on the go and now this project feels like two - because I figured out my next border too!

The next border could be curves and I have wanted to make this Snakes in the Grass quilt for quite some time. The quilt is from the Emilie Richards quilting book I won awhile ago.

Quilt Along with Emilie Richards - Sister's Choice

Part of the reason why I've put it off is because it's made of templates! Not a big deal, but it does slow down the process. 

That's what I love about the summer - time to sit on the porch and drink coffee and really let my mind wander into my quilts and not feel rushed or hurried to get some quilting time in. 
I thought about making the block simpler.
Make it less units in the curve - make the curve one piece?
Why not make the background one piece and applique the curve on!

I decided to make the background one piece and to simplify the curve by making it only one on each block AND by making it only 3 colours. This photo shows how I made the curve template twice the size, omitting the middle seam allowance.

Join 2 blocks and make a rainbow! 
I'm so happy with my next two rows I can't wait!

If you're still reading - thank you! - and here's a peek at my drawn out design for the last two rows. 
Another friend suggested that the liberated churns could be a row - I've decided I can make the corners for the rainbow row into churns. It will be better than what I've planned here - half rainbows.

My reds are all cut out! 

Linking up this week with The Needle and Thread Network; go visit some more Canadian quilters:)

With Joy,

Sarah V.


Laurel's Stitches July 15, 2015 at 5:30 PM  

You are very busy, Sarah! Your projects are wonderfully colourful. Thanks for posting to TN&TN's WIP Wednesday!

Deb Fox-McHugh July 15, 2015 at 8:22 PM  

Wow! That is looking so awesome. I love the heart on a string ( will be looking for that tutorial!). And the curves! Awesome!

Peg's Place July 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM  

Thanks for contacting me by my email...your whole design process is so interesting. That heart on a string is an eye-stopper. I have a whole jar full of slevages, maybe waiting to make a heart ;).

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. Your comments bring me JOY!

Happy Followers

About This Blog

This blog exists to share my quiltmaking and joy of colour to inspire others to find their joy.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP